Sunday, March 20, 2016

Portraiture Part II

So, portraiture part II was fun. I experimented with alternative Rembrandt and glamour lighting situations, and it was really interesting. If I had to say that I specialized in one aspect of photography, single portraiture would be it. Normally though, when I go into a portrait session, I don't think about the lighting situation beforehand. I get there, and I move my subject, or my lights until I find something pleasing to my eye. It was really beneficial for me to go into these portraits with an idea of what lighting scheme I wanted.



I used a south facing window for these portraits of my dad. I went into these with the thought that, because the southern light would be more harsh, I might be able to get a harsher triangle. I'm actually not sure that I accomplished that, because I would consider this more of a split lighting scheme, but it was still really fun to play with.





I took this portrait on Friday, around 3:00p.m. on top of Angels Landing. This one really doesn't have anything to do with the lighting schemes that we went over in class, but I thought that it was a good example of how to expose using the sun as a back light. 


I went into this portrait session thinking that I would use the diffused sunlight to create something similar to glamour lighting. I shot these over the weekend at sunset, and there were a few clouds in the sky breaking up the lighting. I'm really happy with how these turned out, and I think that out of all of my experimental shots, these turned out the best.





The next few shots consist of a mixture of different lighting techniques. My sister came on a shoot with me, and as we waited for my client to show up, we shot a few. The first few were shot in the shade, and are more evenly lit, and I used harsher, more direct light for the last few to create Rembrandt, and attempted to create glamour lighting. 


 Rembrandt
 Rembrandt

 Attempted glamour - turns out that high sun doesn't really work for glamour lighting... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment